As a For Sale by Owner [FSBO] Buyer, review these 30 questions to ensure that you get the relevant information from Sellers to assist in your quest to homeownership.
1. How old is the home? How long have you lived there?
2. How old are the shingles?
3. Is there any water/fire damage?
4. Do the foundation walls leak or have cracks?
5. Is there wood damage from mold, moisture, or insects?
6. Any problems with the sewer/septic system?
7. Is the sewage system private or public?
8. Is there a septic tank?
9. If so, when was it last serviced or emptied?
10. How much are Property Taxes?
11. How large is this home (sq ft)?
12. Any planned roadways or property changes?
13. Any zoning changes expected?
14. Any noise pollution (traffic, neighbors, planes)?
15. How many names are on the Title?
16. Does this property comply with city bylaws?
17. Any decks or additions built without a permit?
18. Any rented items (security, satellite dish, etc)?
19. Are the appliances included?
20. Are there any warranties or manuals for included appliances?
21. Has the furnace/hot water tank been inspected? How old is it?
22. Were there any upgrades or renovations done?
23. Were wiring upgrades done by a certified electrician?
24. How large is the lot?
25. Is there a Real Property Report? Are you supplying one?
26. Whose fence is this?
27. What are the neighbors like?
28. Are there any other offers on the property at this time?
29. Were there any deaths in the home?
30. Is this house believed to be haunted?
Even though the FSBO Seller is not obligated to supply you with a property disclosure statement, they are obligated to disclose known problems. Ask as many questions as necessary about the home before you make an offer. Get responses to particularly important questions in writing- that way, you have proof of the seller’s response in the event of a future discrepancy.