Selling in the Seasons: Holiday Decorating 101
If you discard the advice you have been given and decide to decorate anyway, keep the decorations to a minimum. When decorating make sure to keep important selling features free and open.
- Tone down tree size.
- Stack wrapped gifts in one corner.
- Use more red than green as red is more emotionally appealing.
- Resist hanging banners. Try and use greenery instead.
- Use nature pieces as centerpieces. (Pinecone candleholder).
- Always make sure candles are not left unattended.
- Set a plate of cookies on the counter with festive napkins.
- Simmer spicy apple cider on the stove, and set out cups and a ladle.
Tip: If your home didn't sell over the holidays it may be time to give it a rest. Take it off the market for a few weeks then re-list it. By doing this you will ensure that your house is given a fresh new listing. Buyers tend to gravitate toward the newer listing rather than the ones that have sat on the market for months on end.