How to Organize a Stress Free Move in 5 Easy Steps
The best way to avoid pulling your hair out during a move is to plan ahead. You will be able to save yourself from some gray hairs if you do a little bit at a time, ahead of time. Don't wait for the last minute to find a mover, a babysitter, and realize your physical and financial limitations. Moving doesn't have to be so hard!
Be sure you have successfully completed the following 5 steps:
- Arrange to change your mailing address with your work, utility companies, government agencies, mailing lists, etc. as soon as you know your new address.
- Estimate moving costs, such as packing, rental, moving company and travel expenses. Save up to make sure you have enough money left over, or at least the ability to cover unexpected costs that may come up during the move. Accidents can happen! Be prepared!
- Make the necessary travel arrangements, such as hotel reservations for a moving trip of longer than a day, and be sure that you won't get lost along the way!
- Write down what you put into each box and make an inventory of your possessions. Use this list to determine the number of boxes and the size of the truck you will need to use for your move.
- Decide, based on expenses and physical limitations, if you'll be moving yourself, hiring movers, or some combination of both, and make the necessary arrangements.
If you've successfully checked off each of the above suggestions, then a stress-free move is on the way! Happy moving!