Planning a move is stressful if you’re a Buyer or For Sale By Owner [FSBO], but don’t get discouraged! Here are some quick tips to ease the stress of Moving Day:
- Make sure to finish last minute cleaning.
- Do a last tour around the house to ensure you have taken all the garbage out.
- Plan ahead for what you (Buyer or For Sale by Owner [FSBO]) will need the first day after your move. Packing a separate bag with your toiletries, a change of clothes, etc. will avoid unnecessary scrambling or a run to the local store.
- Finish all last minute packing.
- Notify a close friend or relative of your itinerary in case of emergency
I. Moving Yourself:
- Call the truck rental company the day before you have to pick up the truck to confirm your appointment.
- Call and remind friends or relatives who have offered to help you move to avoid the stress of doing the move alone.
- Buy any last minute furniture covers, pads, boxes, bubble wraps, etc.
- On moving day, give yourself enough time to pick up the truck to avoid traffic delays.
- Make sure to check if you have a full tank of gas before hitting the road.
- If renting, do a physical inspection of the vehicle in order to note any damage before leaving the site.
- Buyers and For Sale By Owners [FSBOs] should make sure they buy a padlock to secure the door of the truck (if it does not already have one).
- Make a list of which items are in which boxes. Label the boxes according to the room its contents came from.
- When loading the truck, make sure to load the items you will need first, after everything else is packed, for easier access.
- Keep in mind the size, strength and weight of your boxes for two reasons: one, so you can better utilize the space; two, so you don’t place heavier boxes over the delicate or breakable ones.
- Make sure to return the truck on the day you have agreed upon with the same amount of gas as when you rented it.
- Make sure you do another inspection to make sure you will not charged for any damage that you did not cause.
II. Moving With Professional Movers:
- Check the mover’s references before you make your decision. Also, check to see if the company is on good terms with the Better Business Bureau.
- Check the mover’s list to be sure you agree with their judgment on the condition of your household items. Buyers or For Sale by Owners [FSBOs] should take pictures if necessary to avoid disputes.
- Request a copy of the list and make sure not to lose it.
- Load items you are taking with you on the trip, including luggage.
- Make sure to tour around the house and check every room before the mover leaves.
- Check the Bill of Loading for accuracy before you sign it. Buyers and For Sale BY Owners [FSBO] should keep a copy for their records.
- Write down the driver’s name and make sure to give him your contact numbers at the destination.
- Make sure to confirm the directions to your new home with the driver, even if you’re making a small move.
- Make sure to check the conditions of each box and household item, as it is unloaded. Make a list of all missing or damaged items on the inventory form.
- Since you, the Buyer or For Sale By Owner [FSBO] will probably be doing most of the unpacking after the movers leave, make a note on the inventory form: “Subject to inspection for loss or concealed damage”.
- Make sure to be at your new home first, before the movers arrive, to avoid additional charges for a waiting period. Also, you will have more control if your are able to supervise the unloading yourself.
Hopefully, these tips help your FSBO Moving Day run smoothly.